Search This Blog

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Cake Pops (balls)

So, here goes another cake ball/pop adventure.  I've refrained from posting much about my experiments because they've been just that...experiments. Apparently though, I'm not the only one who enjoys them because quite a few people have asked for the recipe.  Read on to see how I created these little morsels of goodness. Thanks? to @ohlivianne for getting me hooked on making these. I expect she will be helping me with my exercise plan!

You can find a lot of sources online for making cake balls/pops - I've listed some great ones here on the list of blogs I'm following (see right column) and there are entire cookbooks devoted to this one subject.  Like I do in my real job, I hope I've taken the best of all the ideas I have explored, and layered that with my creativity to come up with something unique that others enjoy. 
A slight warning...making cake balls/pops is not something you do when you have only an hour -- unless you only want one that is ;). Like most baking, it's a science, as Alton Brown would tell us; and it's also an art that takes time to hone and perfect.  Not that I'm perfect in any way of course, but I'll continue to try and try again...hopefully imparting a little joy along the way to anyone willing to experience this with me. 
Let's begin with my most recent success...Pumpkin Pie Cake Balls
Step 1: Bake the cake 
Extra Moist Pumpkin Cake
Ingredients:1 C sugar1 C packed brown sugar1 C butter3 eggs¾ C pumpkin1 C sour cream1 tsp vanilla2 ¾ C Flour1.5 T cinnamon½  tsp nutmeg2 tsp baking soda1 tsp salt 
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 9x13 pan.

Add sugar and butter to a large mixing bowl. Beat on low until light and fluffy. Slowly add the eggs, one at a time, and continue mixing until well incorporated. Add the pumpkin, sour cream and vanilla, mixing on slow speed until well blended. Slowly add the flour, one cup at a time. Next, add the cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Blend until well incorporated.  Pour cake batter into prepared cake pan. Depending on your oven and the type of pan you use (dark, etc) baking times may vary.  I always judge if my baked goods are ready by how yummy the how smells. I believe I baked this cake in a dark pan for approx. 30 minutes. You can always test with a toothpick; it's ready when it comes out clear.

After the cake is done baking, let it cool for at least an hour.

Step 2: Make the frosting

Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:
1 package(s) (8-ounce) Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) Butter, softened
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
2-3 cups Powdered Sugar, sifted

Directions:Mix cream cheese and butter until smooth, then blend in the vanilla until distributed. Add the sugar gradually and beat until light, creamy, and the consistency matches frosting (somewhere between 2-3 cups).

Step 3: Transform the ingredients into an orb

3a: Crumble the cake into a small crumbs. Don't turn into a fine powder, but don't leave big globs of cake.  You may need to remove the corners of your cake (if they got a little tough during the baking process).  I use either a serving fork or clean (usually gloved) hands for this step.

3b: Add frosting to the cake crumbs and blend in with a serving fork or serving spoon. You may choose to use your hands but I don't find that necessary, or enjoyable lol.  You are trying to obtain a consistency that will stick together well so you can ball them up. I wouldn't skimp on the frosting if you plan on using pops because you need the "glue".  After making call balls once or twice, you'll find the right consistency.

3b: Now, you'll spend about 30 minutes or so turning the morsels into orbs of delight.  If you are one that likes to scrap the goodies off the cake platter after slicing and serving the cake, you'll need to employ some will power during this step. That said, I always taste at least a bite of this combination because I must test my creation before inflicting it on others.

Take just enough cake mixture into the palm of your hand that would create a one or two bite-sized ball. If you're making pops, you might want two/three bites...if you're making balls to sit on a tray for a large group, one-bite is perfect.  Once you have the mixture in hand, use the palm of your two hands to create a ball.  Just like meatballs, spin your flattened hands in opposite directions until you have a shape resembling an orb.  A perfect sphere is about impossible and trust me, the consumers of your yummy treats won't really care what shape they're in...they'll keep eating them no matter what they look like.

Place the finished spheres onto cookie sheets that will fit into your fridge/freezer and let them cool quite a bit (longer if turning into pops).  

After this step, you can actually freeze these balls and dip them later. I've saved some for weeks before dipping and did not notice a degradation in quality at all.

Step 4: Dipping

Now that the balls are very cool, start melting the dipping medium.  I use melts from Hobby Lobby (thanks @dmcwright for that tip) but you can use many different things. Wilton makes OK melts but they're a bit thick. Also try candy bark, chocolate chips, fondue chips, etc. Anything that can mold will work, you'll find your own favorite.

I melt mine in a double boiler but have also used a microwave.  The one thing to remember with either method is to not get the material too hot (it easily scorches) or get any liquids in it (it separates). If you find that it's not thin enough for you, it might be the material you're using, just try something else next time.

Once it's the right temperature, start the dipping process.  If doing pops, dip a lollipop stick into the melted candy, then into the cake ball to adhere the stick to the cake ball. Do this with several and let them set for a few minutes. Now, dip the whole ball into the candy, leaning the pop from side to side to cover the whole ball. Let the candy drip off the ball (I find that tapping can work but can sometimes break the candy shell) and then place them either top down on a sprayed cookie sheet or, even better, stick first into foam to make very pretty pops.

If you only need cake balls, use a spoon and fork to dip the balls. Use the spoon to dip and ensure coverage on the ball. Then, use a fork to allow the candy to drip through and transfer the ball to a sprayed cookie sheet. Don't pierce the ball with the fork, just let the candy drip off once it's coated.

Step 5: Storage and more

At this point, I usually test them again  (who wouldn't) to ensure I haven't created something people won't enjoy.  You can always switch up the dipping medium at this point if it doesn't taste good.  Depending on if you create pops or balls, you should store them somewhere relatively cool, even the fridge if you have the space.  Do be careful in transportation of pops, make sure you have them well positioned in a sealed container and that they can't get tossed around.

They do store fairly well in a cool place for at least a few days but who would leave them around that long?

Last thoughts:
Overall, balls are easier and faster to make, easier to transport, and you can make them in one-bite sizes allowing for larger quantities.  However, pops are quite the presentation and when you really need to "wow" people, you should try these.

I've tried several flavor combinations and the best liked are usually those with the most flavor combinations. Try your favorite flavors, investigate ideas on the web, and enjoy.  Here are a few ideas to get you started: 
  • Strawberry Cake/Buttercream frosting/White chocolate dip
  • Banana Cake/Strawberry Frosting/White Chocolate dip
  • Devil's Food Cake/Chocolate Fudge Frosting/Dark Chocolate Mint dip

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Thanks for the mention! ;) Oh, I think I gave you the wrong link to my blog before. oops!

    ReplyDelete