Search This Blog

Friday, September 3, 2010

Beef Stroganoff

This one is tried and true, for more years now than I care to recollect.  My family never tires of this home-cooked, comfort food. Sure warms up the soul.


Ingredients:
1 lb stew meat cut into 1 inch cubes (I prefer sirloin steak when I can find it)
2 cloves garlic
1 cup beef broth (I make mine with the paste-style bouillon)
3 tbs ketchup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 small onion
4-8 oz sliced mushrooms
3 tbs flour
8 oz sour cream
1 lb cooked extra-wide egg noodles

Directions:
Brown the beef in a small bit of butter. After browned, add onions and mushrooms. Cook until onions are transparent, then add salt, garlic, 2/3 cup of the broth, and ketchup. Save and cool 1/3 cup of the broth. Cover and simmer beef on low for 10 minutes. Shake 1/3 cup of reserved broth and 3tbs flour in a covered container to mix and then add to beef. Bring to a boil for one minute. Add sour cream and simmer until hot. Serve over egg noodles.

1 comment: